Mandatory ethics training requirements for new and continuing REALTOR® members was established by the National Association’s Board of Directors at the 1999 Annual Convention to heighten member awareness of the key tenets of the Code of Ethics; to create an awareness of and appreciation for the role the Code can and should play in their professional lives; to enhance professionalism and competency; and to encourage REALTORS® to view their Code of Ethics as a living, viable guide in their daily dealings with clients, customers, and the public.
REALTORS® are required to take a Code of Ethics course once every two-year cycle. These cycles are referred to as the Code of Ethics Biennial. We are currently in the first biennial cycle following four quadrennial cycles. The cycle ends on December 31, 2018. Any REALTOR® who does not complete a qualified (NAR approved) ethics course between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018, is in violation of a membership requirement, and their membership will be suspended until the requirement is met. NAR defines ‘suspension’ as “… suspension of all Board/Association-provided rights, privileges and services” including those provided by the State and National Association and including use of the term REALTOR®.
How to complete your Ethics Requirement
- View the SAAR class calendar for our upcoming Code of Ethics courses. These courses meet the biennial ethics requirement and provide three hours Commissioner’s Standards continuing education credits.
- The NAR Code of Ethics course is available online for free. You may take up to 30 days to complete this course.
- Take the Code of Ethics online and get CE hours through one of our online education partners:
- Other associations or real estate schools may offer classes that meet NAR’s standard for the Biennial Ethics Requirement. If you have completed a course, or are thinking of taking a course, that says it “Meets NAR Requirement for Biennial Code of Ethics,” please call us at 480-945-2651 to verify the class qualifies so we can update our records.
- Send in your Certificate of Completion.
If you do not take your ethics course through SAAR, please be sure to provide us with proof of your attendance at a NAR-approved biennial ethics course. (This would be in the form of a certificate.) Uploading the certificate to ADRE does not notify SAAR, so you must send us a copy.
Send your certificate to:
Info@ScottsdaleREALTORS.org or fax to 480-422-7945.
If you took the Code of Ethics through SAAR, it is not necessary to send us your certificate as we will have it on file.
Do I need to take the Code of Ethics?
If you are not sure whether you have fulfilled your ethics requirement, you can view your records by logging into your REALTOR.org account. If the course number ends in ‘C5’, you have completed the Biennial Code of Ethics requirement. If you cannot access your records, you can contact us at the web address above to verify.